Drag Race All Stars 2 on VH1: pivotal moment for the show and gay culture.
Logo is a great channel. It allows me to watch late night marathons of Roseanne, The Golden Girls, and Absolutely Fabulous with my mother late at night when she's hurting too bad to sleep and I'm working later than I should.
Yes, the LGBT wing of Viacom Media Networks mainly serves to entertain me when I'm hanging out with Mom, who's stance on LGBT people kissing on TV is to say "I wouldn't want to see it if it were straight people either," right before she flips over to Days of Our Lives. (See wholesome gif-clips from that show after the jump).
Basically, you wouldn't even rank Logo as the gayest network on cable 90 percent of the time (That one probably goes to Bravo). The other 10 percent of the time RuPaul's Drag Race is on (along with the original shows they try to launch by airing them directly after Drag Race).
And, although Drag Race is the gayest thing on TV, it count among its most ardent fans both my sister and my niece. In fact, it is loved by many many straight people that I'm friends with. Hell, even my sister's boyfriend doesn't mind watching what I like to refer to as "the best formatted reality competition show on TV."
Drag Race is, undeniably, a huge advocate for LGBT acceptance while dipping into every corner of gay subcultures (from Paris is Burning to leather daddies) and spreading positivity (Everybody say love!).
Heck, based on the attendance I've noticed at the Battle of the Seasons Shows I've been to, Drag Race could very well be the first "gay" thing young members of the LGBT community feel it's OK to openly be a fan of--many of them attending with their parents as well.
Sadly, Logo is on the more obscure cable packages--if it's even offered--so, the news that this season of Drag Race will air simultaneously on VH1 is amazing.
Selfishly, this means that I can watch the show in HD while it airs for the first time.
It also means, however, that 41.3 million more households (92.6 million for VH1 vs 51.3 million American households for Logo) will get to watch Drag Race live for the first time. Perhaps it will spread a little more love and acceptance this season than normal.
And, remember: if you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love anyone else? Now, can I get an amen?
Drag Race will premiere tonight on VH1 and Logo and air each Thursday for the remainder of its second All-Stars season.