The Cucumber Caipiroska: Perfect Summer Party Cocktail
Every spring and summer ins Athens, I would always head to Highwire Lounge for their signature cocktails. My favorite of which was the Cucumber Caipiroska. This recipe isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty great. The only thing missing is the smell of the booths made from unfinished wood.
- 1 Cup caster sugar
- 1 Cup lime juice
- 3 Stalks of prepared lemongrass
- 4 Cucumbers, peeled and deseeded
- ⅔ Cup white vodka
- 3 Cups soda water
- Thinly sliced cucumber
- Lime wedges
- Make a lime/lemongrass simple syrup. Place the sugar, lime juice and lemongrass in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil for 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. You can do this in the microwave if you're careful with it.
- Serve it up. Allow to cool completely. Strain. Place the cucumber, white rum and lemongrass syrup in a blender and process until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a 1.5 litre-capacity jug.
- Finish it off. Add the soda water, extra cucumber and ice and stir to combine. Squeeze in extra lime, if desired. You can do this park all together or per cup, depending on how fizzy you like it or quickly it's being drank.
Makes 1.25 litres (5 cups)